One Quick Trip!
Bernalillo County Emissions Testing
Emissions testing is required for motor vehicles that are registered in or commuting to Bernalillo County.
THINGS TO KNOW
- New Mexico emissions tests must be performed on all Bernalillo County vehicles 35 years old and newer.
- Diesel vehicles are exempt from emissions testing.
- Dedicated electric vehicles (100% electric) are exempt from emissions testing.
- Vehicles weighing more than 10,000 lbs do not require an emissions test.
- Any vehicle (including gas-electric hybrid vehicles) must pass an emissions test every two years, or any time the vehicle’s ownership changes, even if the emissions inspection sticker has not yet expired.
- Motorcycles, ATV’s, boats, and scooters do not require an emissions test.
New Mexico Vehicle Emissions Testing Includes The Following Procedures
- Pollution control equipment check that includes the catalytic converter and other connections.
- On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) computer car emission test on vehicles 1996 and newer.
- Any visible car smoke test to uncover burning oil or poor fuel combustion that results in toxic emissions.
- Gas cap check to search for vapor leaks.
- Tailpipe exhaustion analysis on vehicles manufactured between 1983 and 1995.
Emissions testing checks the air care database for city regulated and required compliance. The air care database is administered and maintained by Albuquerque Air Care. If a failure or expiration notification from the air care database is returned, customers will be told to get their vehicle repaired and retested. If the vehicle passes emissions, the customer will be allowed to continue the transaction.
In case of Emissions Test failure
If the emission test fails, you have the option to get an extension through the Vehicle Pollution Management Program at 1500 Broadway Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87102. Their telephone number is 505-764-1110 and their website www.cabq.gov/aircare. There will also be instructions on the back of the failed emissions test certificate on how to apply for a time extension.
Get you vehicle tested at MVD Now Xpress Emissions!
901 Eubank NE, Albuquerque, NM 87112
Monday to Friday – 9AM to 6PM
Saturday – 9AM to 3PM